Sunday, March 4, 2018

How Much Do I Love Pi Day? 😍

Let me count the ways ...
1.  I love Pi Day because students love it.
2.  I love Pi Day because it is a math/science inspired holiday.
3.  I love Pi Day because I can celebrate  and educate at the same time.
4.  I love Pi Day because it is an opportunity to mix things up by doing something a bit different ... and outside the box.
5.  I love Pi Day because it's fun!


Here's what I always do on Pi Day:
1.  Have a pi memorization contest.

I challenge students to memorize as many digits of pi as possible.  If they can make it onto my Top Ten list I buy them their favorite pie!
This is my list with names removed.  It always amazes me! 
They are all 7th and 8th grade students.
2.  Make pi bracelets.  

     These are a HUGE hit!  I often think the boys enjoy this even more than the girls.  Believe it or not, I've had students and parents show me the bracelets years later!  

     They are just glass beads strung on elastic.  Each digit is a different colored bead and they are strung according to the order of the digits in pi.  

     I started out with PTO money to buy supplies. 💰 Now I stock up when I find a bargain.  If I'm lucky, I might have a bit of funding to help out.

3.  Provide circular treats.

     Pie, cookies, cake, candy, cupcakes ... anything circular works!

Here are some other things to do on Pi Day:
1.  Lessons related to circles (circumference, area, surface area, volume).

These activities can take the form of color by number worksheets, task cards, and more.




2.  Make Pi Day related decorations.

3.  Play a pi related game such as MATHO.


4.  Do a webquest to learn about pi, Albert Einstein, and/or autism.


5.  Sing Pi Day songs.  (Just Google to find these...)

6.  Measure circular items to discover the value of pi.

7.  Make pi bookmarks.  

These are available in my TPT store from March 11-17 as a FLASH FREEBIE!


There are many resources available.  You can find free options online, purchase from Teachers Pay Teachers, or use materials you already have available.  

Whatever you decide to do ... enjoy the celebration!

Get multiple activities with a Pi Day Bundle.

Pi Day Bundle #1
Pi Day Bundle #2


No comments:

Post a Comment