Sunday, September 17, 2017

Clear Fractions and Decimals from Equations Early!

I've moved this topic to the beginning of the school year and I will always teach it at this time from now on!  I feel like it has helped my algebra students tremendously.  

By learning to clear decimals and fractions at the beginning of the algebra course, students are able to absorb the concept quickly, feel like they are learning something new as they "brush up" their equation-solving, and are able to apply it throughout the entire year.  It has become a strategy my students use often.

The textbook my school used didn't introduce clearing fractions and decimals until the systems of equations unit midyear.  This meant that students were trying to learn how to solve systems of equations and how to clear fractions and decimals at the same time.  Many of them struggled with this.  No such worries now!

If you need materials to assist you in teaching this topic, check out "Clearing Decimals & Fractions Foldable" and "Clearing Decimals & Fractions Practice". 



No comments:

Post a Comment