Tuesday, January 29, 2019

Gallery Walks in Math Class

Have you tried a gallery walk in your math class?

I admit to having heard of them years ago.  However, I've only recently tried one myself.  And ... I'm sold!

Students were forced to observe patterns, pay attention to detail, and draw conclusions.  (This was not easy for them ... and these were high ability students.)

I've designed two gallery walks so far.  I used this one about "Perimeter & Area Ratios" with my pre-algebra students.


I used this "Introduction to Exponential Functions" gallery walk with my Algebra 1 class.  Since we barely touch on this topic in this course, I tried to keep it relatively simple and used it after giving introductory notes and practice to present the basic information.  (It was appropriate, yet still challenging.)

Multiple, similar problems were posted around the room (or in the hallway).  Students were given recording sheets with questions that required them to focus on certain aspects of the problems.  They had to recognize patterns and similarities, then use them to deduce/synthesis rules.

Here's what I learned from my two experiences:
• If students solve and check the problems a day or two before you plan to do the gallery walk, things will go more smoothly.  
• Of course, it is important that the work is correct.  If not, students will have difficulty observing patterns and identifying similarities.  (A colleague of mine suggested posting the "answer keys" instead of having students solve the problems.  This is a way to save time and be certain that the answers are correct.  Whether or not you have students solve the problems you post for the gallery walk really depends on exactly what you want students to achieve from the activity.)
Lastly, you may look at the gallery walk questions and think that the answers seem relatively obvious.  However, your students will probably not feel the same.  Remember: They are just learning the material.  Also, most students don't practice this type of thinking often so it is challenging for them.

No comments:

Post a Comment