Monday, January 21, 2019

Get to Know Your Students Better


Clipart credit to Thankful in Third
Do you ever wish you knew your students better ... especially if you teach at the secondary level?

As teachers, the list of standards we must cover seems only to grow from year to year.  It can be difficult to find time to connect with students.  How can you learn more about their lives and interests?  

I'm sure we all have "getting to know you" activities in our teacher toolkits.  We use them at the beginning of the school year.  However, when the first week of school is past, do you ever do anything similar again or do you file those materials away for the next school year?


This summer, I created an "I have ... Who has?" game to use at the beginning of the school year.  I was really pleased, and a bit surprised with my students' (8th graders) response.  

Here's the thing ...
Although we enjoyed it, I never expected my students to ask if we could do it again. 

A semester later, when they asked yet again, I did pull out the game.  We enjoyed it just as much and I discovered even more about my students! 

What have I learned?  Getting to know you activities aren't just for the first week of school.    


So, I've just finished creating a second version of the game to use before the end of the year.  If you don't use this sort of activity in class, how about trying it during an advisory period or study hall?  There is no prep other than printing the slips and cutting them apart.

Try this or a similar activity and enjoy the benefits of knowing your students better!  Remember, if they enjoy coming to your class and have a positive relationship with you, they will likely be better behaved. 😉

No comments:

Post a Comment