Friday, August 25, 2017

Memorizing Perfect Squares

There are times when memorizing information in math class can be so helpful!

In elementary school, students are frequently given timed tests over multiplication tables and other basic facts.  Sometimes, timed tests are appropriate for secondary students, too.  

I have my middle school students memorize the perfect squares from 1 to 400.  Quick recall of perfect squares is especially beneficial when using the Pythagorean Theorem and when simplifying radicals.

Perfect Square and Square Root Flashcards
Good old-fashioned flashcards are a great tool for memorization of facts!  I have created these FREE flashcards.  
I like copying them on colored card stock, which I've found lasts better over time than laminated cards.  Here they are in use: 


 

It has been my experience that one minute fifteen seconds or a minute and a half is an appropriate amount of time to allow for a timed quiz over perfect squares.  It is long enough for students who know the information to answer all of the questions, yet not so much time that they can just multiply to get the answers rather than recall them from memory.

If you don't want to make your own quizzes, mine are available here.  Six versions of the quiz and four practice quizzes are included.  
I upload the practice quizzes to my school's learning management system for students to use to prepare.  They import them into Notability which makes it easy for them to duplicate for LOTS of practice! 

The actual quizzes I give are on paper.  I tend to give them to my entire class three or four times and then record the best score each student has achieved.  You can certainly continue giving the quizzes until mastery is achieved if that is your goal.

Does anyone else still give memory quizzes to secondary students?  If so, what do you have them memorize?

No comments:

Post a Comment