Sunday, August 6, 2017

Word Problems: Rational Number Calculations

Do you have that one standard you always feel you could teach more effectively?  

For me, it is this one:
Indiana Academic Standards
8.C.1: Solve real-world problems with rational numbers by using multiple operations.

Here is the related Common Core standard:
CCSS.MATH.CONTENT.7.NS.A.3
Solve real-world and mathematical problems involving the four operations with rational numbers.

Part of my issue with this standard is simply that I can't find enough word problems.  If you are like me, it is a difficult task to gather enough word problems to provide an adequate amount of practice using all of the various forms of rational numbers.  I'll need to incorporate both positive and negative numbers in the form of integers, fractions, and decimals. Also, if my students are to truly master this standard, they will need to do a fair amount of problems including these types of rational numbers.

After lots of fruitless digging around searching for the type of multistep problems I need, I decided to write them myself.  I've created a set of twenty task cards with word problems that focus on rational number calculations.  Most of the task cards include multiple questions.

I have created these word problems to resemble those that may appear on standardized tests requiring students to apply skills. This is a challenging set of task cards that will make your students think!

Rational Number Calculations Word Problems


I'm planning to dive right in with these this year!  (I'll let you know how it goes.)  Students 
entering my pre-algebra and algebra classes should be able to calculate with rational numbers.  I am beginning the year by encouraging them to show me what they already know ... no reviewing!  

I do plan to allow students to use resources such as the skills review materials that go along with their textbook, or an online tutorial or video lesson.  Then, they can ask me for help if they still have questions.  I will reteach material to individuals or in small groups as needed.  I expect to learn a lot about my new students through this activity!

Sometimes, I think we don't require students to be responsible for what they have previously learned.  Instead, we assume they haven't mastered concepts.  I believe this is why teachers often begin each year by reviewing.  The problem is ... doing this communicates to students that they really don't have to learn the content because we'll reteach it anyway.  They become "lazy learners".  I want my students to know that learning what I am teaching is expected.  Yes, each student will learn at a different pace, but everyone should be actively involved in the learning process.  After all, this engagement is what I hope will result in retention of the material and that is the goal!


No comments:

Post a Comment